06 October 2014

Review: Fountain of the earth by H.L. LeRoy

Fountain of the Earth by H.L. LeRoy
Genre: Dystopian
Age Category: Young Adult
Release Date: November 22, 2013

Goodreads

Amazon


After witnessing the horrific murder of her mother, fifteen-year-old Terra Vonn has a singular focus—exacting revenge on the killers. But before she can complete her plan, savagery intervenes, and she is cast alone into a brutal post-apocalyptic world. As she trails the murderers south—through a land filled with cannibalistic criminals, slave traders, and lunatics—the hunter becomes the hunted. Terra quickly learns that she is not as tough or as brave as she thought she was. Worse, she may be the only one who stands between what little remains of civilization and destruction.

My Rating:


Why?

I fell in love with the world H.L. LeRoy created. I got a bit lost at first because he gave me an overview and like the usual lazy me, I failed to read it. I wasn't familiar with the setting and kept asking when exactly was the story taking place. It was right there on the email, it really sucks to be me sometimes. But being able to receive stories like this from authors like him, makes it really worthwhile. It felt really awesome when I received a book review request from him. I have to tell you, it kind of scared me a bit. This is the first time I received a request directly from the author. I have all these misgivings, "what if I didn't like it?" But of course, they were misplaced and I was so thrilled to be given this opportunity. 

I won't go into the specifics of the story. But it was set in the time after "catastrophic solar flare destroys civilization". This is different from the usual dystopian genre we've gotten used to. I was surprised to read that instead of us moving forward, the change inflicted on Earth made us go backwards. Meaning no technology. Yup, that's right. We're given a preview as to what it'll be like if technology got wiped out. The way he described this new Earth is really something really worth noting. Here are some photos that I found that matches the images in my head:
              
Oh, and don't get me started on Terra Vonn. If you're looking for a strong female that literally kicks ass, then Terra is for you. She's courageous, loyal, and just downright amazing. She's the poster girl for kickassery. The other characters in the story also went through some major overhaul that I really enjoyed. Beth is also someone to watch out for. This book is just brimming with cool characters waiting for you to love and care for.

It really is such an adventure. I recommend this to girls looking for a new protagonist to rah-rah over. For dystopian lovers out there who's looking for something new to grace their favorite lists. The Fountain of the Earth will make you feel grateful for the life we're living right now. But please let H.L. LeRoy tell you Terra Vonn's courageous story, it really is a treat.


Meet the author:



You can find and contact H.L. LeRoy here:

Goodreads

Twitter

Blog

2 comments :

  1. This one sounds brilliant, I've yet to read any apocalyptic's with solar flares as a cause of the devastation. It's realistically frightening too. I absolutely love the visuals of your reviews, it really adds an extra element to how I can imagine the world building, and I love dystopians as well. Will be checking this one out. Awesome review Ana <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. You're so sweet. And yeah, solar flare just makes it more realistic.
      Go and add this to your list. I know we've been looking for a strong feminine protagonists and this definitely has one.

      Delete

I looooooooove comments! Gimme some love :)